Jharkhand State Pollution Control Board, which was constituted under section 4 of the Water (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act, 1974 first time on 09.09.2001, started functioning from 15.12.2001. It has at present a nominated Chairman, fifteen nominated Members and an appointed Member Secretary.
The Water (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act, 1974; the Water (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Cess Act, 1974; the Air (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act, 1981 and the Environment (Protection) Act, 1986 and the Rules framed by the State Government under the first and third Act and those framed by the Central Government under the second and the fourth Act are in effect in the State.
Jharkhand State Pollution Control Board implements the provisions of these Acts and Rules in the State. The functions of the Board are provided under section 17 of the Water (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act, 1974 and the same section of the Air (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act, 1981 and under the remaining Acts and Rules.
Jharkhand State Pollution Control Board has its Head Office in T A Building, H E C Complex, Ranchi and Regional Offices-Cum-Laboratories at Dhanbad, Jamshedpur, Hazaribagh and Deoghar and Regional Office at Tupudana, Ranchi and a Central Laboratory at Tupudana, Ranchi and 94 regular employees and 64 casual employees.
Objectives of MPPCB
- Sustainable Development: - Sustainable development is a wide concept that balances the need for economic growth with environmental protection and social equity.
- Prevention: - To control the prevention of natural resources.
- Waste Management: - Effective Waste Management is a great source to protect the environment.
- Consumer awareness: - Pollution can be reduced by awareness such as by convincing general public to use CFL, paper bags, public transport and not to use firecrackers, plastic bags or any other non-biodegradable products.
- Compliance: - MPPCB laid down some guidelines for industries and Health care establishment to reduce environment pollution in Uttar Pradesh.
Main Functions of the JPCB
- Provide recommendation to the Jharkhand Government on any matter concerning prevention and control of water and air pollution and improvement of the quality of air.
- Organize the consumer awareness programs on the prevention and control of air and water pollution and waste management through mass media.
- Collect, compile and prepare technical and statistical data related to air and water pollution.
- Lay down the standard of sewage and trade effluents and for emission from industrial plant, automobiles and Health Care Establishment.
- To help on the development of new technology for treatment of sewage, trade effluents and control equipment.
- Issuance of consent certificate to industries falling in different categories such as Red, Orange, Green and White.
- Issuance of the Authorization to industries and health care establishments, falling in Bio-Medical waste Authorization, Hazardous waste Management Authorization, Plastic Waste Management, Battery waste Management, and E-waste Authorization.
JPCB Categories & Classification of Business Activities
The industries in Jharkhand has been classified in Red, Orange, and Green category as per the list, indicating the classification of 649 industries as per new guidelines.
The industries categorized under Red, Orange and Green category only need to apply for Consent to Establish (CTE) and Consent to Operate (CTO) under the Air & Water Act. The industries categorized under white category are not required to obtain Consent to establish and operate, it is required only to intimate Jharkhand Pollution Control Board within 30 days from Establishment of business with an undertaking.